Expectations of Participants
Every ELCA program of FCTE will include four components. Each participant will be expected to complete:
- Core program of 25 contact hours (one "contact hour" equals 50 minutes of educational activity to meet the goals of the program).
- Electives directed toward specific needs and interests totaling 25 contact hours.
- Mentoring and/or colleague groups for peer support and guidance.
- Structured reading which supports and extends the other educational components and overall goals of the program.
In addition, during their first call, participants of the program are required to:
- Attend core events sponsored by their synod or region
- Participate in a colleague group on a regular basis
- Work with congregational committee (Mutual Ministry Committee, Parish Support Committee, etc.) to develop a "learning covenant" and select continuing education electives. These should benefit the congregation's ministry goals as well as one's own professional development goals
- Commit to sharing with the congregation one's learnings from FCTE
- Set aside some personal continuing education funds