bibliography for use in the FCTE Structured Reading program component is provided below. Many of these items come from coordinators of FCTE pilot programs in synods. Some of these resources would be helpful not only for synods and newly called persons, but also for congregations receiving these people.
Note: AF refers to Augsburg Fortress Publishers and DS to the Distribution Service. You can learn more by visiting the Augsburg Fortress Web site.
To help identify how these resources could be best used, they are distributed across three major goals of FCTE, plus a leadership tools category. Select an area of focus below:
Ministry Identity | Ministry Skills | Context for Ministry | Leadership Tools
- Pastoral Identity: A Reading Resource
- Compensation Planning: A Guidebook for Lay Leaders of the ELCA for Planning Compensation for Rostered Leaders: Pastors, Associates in Ministry, Deaconesses, Diaconal Ministers. This 1994 Edition updates the terminology of rostered leaders and reflects changes from the ELCA Board of Pensions and the Internal Revenue Service. Division for Ministry, 1994. [DS 69-2322]
- Apps, Jerold W. Leadership for an Emerging Age (Jossey-Bass, 1994). [See especially ch. 6, "Qualities and Characteristics of the New Leaders," and ch. 10, "A Personal Approach to Leadership Development."] 272 pp. for about $30. Recommended as a basic text for FCTE pilots.
- Brussat, Frederic and Mary Ann. Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life (New York: Scribner, 1996).
- Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. Life Together (Harper, 1954).
- Dykstra, Craig. Vision and Character: A Christian Educator's Alternative to Kohlberg (Paulist Press, 1981).
- Fletcher, John C. Religious Authenticity in the Clergy (Alban Institute, 1975).
- Foster, Richard. The Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth (Harper & Row, 1988).
- Hall, Douglas John. The Steward: A Biblical Image Come of Age (Eerdmans Press, 1990).
- Harbaugh, Gary. Pastor as Person (Augsburg Fortress, 1988).
- Harris, Maria. Jubilee Time: Celebrating Women, Spirit, and the Advent of Age (New York: Bantam Books, 1996).
- Johnson, Ben C. Pastoral Spirituality (Westminster Press, 1988).
- Kolden, Mark and Nichol, James, Eds. Called and Ordained (Fortress Press, 1990)
- Luther, Martin. Day By Day We Magnify (Augsburg, 1982).
_____. "Concerning Ministry," in Church and Ministry, Vol. II.
- Ofstedahl, Paul. Daily Readings from Spiritual Classics (Augsburg Press, 1990).
- Olson, Mark. The Evangelical Pastor (Augsburg Fortress, 1992).
- Oswald, Roy. Crossing the Boundary (Alban Institute,1980).
______. New Beginnings: A Pastorate Start-Up Workbook (1989).
______. Pastor as Newcomer (1977).
- Sweet, Leonard. Quantum Spirituality: A Postmodern Apologetic (Whalepoints, Dayton, OH, 1994).
Back to Top
- Aichel, George. Fundamentals for Survival in the Parish. The Coalition for Appalachian Ministry, P.O. Box 10208, Knoxville, TN 37939-0208 [$2.00 each or $1.50 for 20+ copies]
- Bass, Dorothy, Ed. Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1997).
- Buttry, Daniel. Bringing Our Church Back to Life ( Judson Press, 1989).
- Callahan, Kennon L. Twelve Keys to Effective Church Leadership (Harper Collins, 1990).
- Cooper-White, Pamela. Women Healing and Empowering (Chicago: ELCA, 1996).
- Covey, Stephen R. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. A bestselling audio resource, read by the author, teaches listeners how to develop the seven key habits for securing happiness and success [0-671-68796-4 $12]. Also by Covey and Roger Merrill, First Things First: A Principle-Centered Approach to Time and Life Management. [0-671-86628-1, $12] These can be ordered by mail from Jossey-Bass Publishers, 350 Sansome Street, San Francisco, CA 94104 or call 414/433-1767, ext. 498.
- Dougherty, Rose Mary. Group Spiritual Direction: Community for Discernment (New York: Paulist Press, 1995).
- Foster, Charles. Teaching in the Community of Faith (Abingdon Press, 1982).
_____. The Ministry of the Volunteer Teacher (Abingdon Press, 1994).
_____. Educating Congregations: The Future of Christian Education (Abingdon Press, 1994).
- Harris, James H. Preaching Liberation (Minneapolis, Fortress Press, 1996).
- Kolb, David. Experiential Learning: Experience as a Source of Learning and Development (Prentice-Hall, 1984).
- Kolb's Learning Style Inventory. Purchase of the scoring questionnaire and interpretation charts from: McBer and Company, Training Resources Group, 116 Huntington Ave., Boston, MA 02116 (617-437-7080). Each person's learning style is a combination of the four basic learning modes, "Accommodator," "Diverger," "Converger," and "Assimilator."
- Obsatz, Michael. From Stalemate to Soulmate: A Guide to Mature, Committed, Loving Relationships (Minneapolis: Augsburg Press, 1997).
- Schaller, Lyle. Activating the PassiveChurch (Abingdon Press, 1981).
- Schmalenberger, Jerry. Called to Witness (CSS Publishing, Lima, OH, 1993).
________. Plane Thoughts on Parish Ministry (1994).
________. Stewards of Creation (1987).
- Whitehead, Barbara Defoe. The Divorce Culture (New York: Alfred A. Knopf/Random House, 1997.
The following books deal with the pastor as leader of the parish through understanding systems functions, council and committee work, and establishing boundaries.
Back to Top
Context for Ministry
- Ammerman, Nancy Tatom, et al. Congregation and Community (New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 1997.
- An ELCA Strategy for Responding to Sexual Abuse in the Church, ELCA Commission for Women, 1992. [DS 69-3584]
- Concordat: Concerns Addressed. Lutheran-Episcopal Joint Coordinating Committee (Chicago: ELCA, 1997).
- "Crisis in the Professions," Kettering Review, Winter, 1994. A journal of ideas and activities dedicated to improving the quality of public life in the American democracy. This issue contains articles on "Professional Virtue," by David W. Brown and "Democracy's Secret Virtue," by Daniel Boorstin. Available from Kettering Foundation, 200 Commons Rd., Dayton, OH 45459-2799 [513/434-7300] or 444 North Capital St., N.W., Washington, DC 20001 [202/393-4478] or 6 East 39th St., New York, NY 10016 [212/686-7016]
- Ecumenical Proposals: Lutheran-Episcopal, Lutheran-Reformed, and Lutheran-Roman Catholic. Documents for action by the 1997 Churchwide Assembly (Chicago: ELCA, 1996).
- Jinkins, Michael; Jinkins, Deborah. Power and Change in Parish Ministry (Alban Institute, 1991).
- Mead, Loren. Five Challenges for the Once and Future Church (Alban Institute, 1996). Mead presents five key challenges facing today's church and how they represent opportunities for the evolutionary, transformative changes he believes must take place in congregations if the Church is to remain a viable institution into the 21st century.
- Novak, Michael. Business as a Calling: Work and the Examined Life (New York: The Free Press, 1996).
- Pellauer, Mary. "If You Have Been Sexually Abused or Harassed: A Guide to Getting Effective Help in the ELCA." Brochure from the ELCA Commission for Women, 1991. [DS 69-5115]
- Stark, Rodney. The Rise of Christianity: A Sociologist Reconsiders History (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1996).
- Wink, Walter. Engaging the Powers (Minneapolis: Augsburg Press, 1994).
Back to Top
- Pastor and People: Making Mutual Ministry Work (Augsburg Fortress, 2003)
- Havel, Kirk J. and Rothaar, Michael. Basic Tools for Congregational Planning (Augsburg Fortress - 23-2130, 1991).
- Couser, Richard B. Managing Risks: First Steps in Identifying Congregational Liability (AF - 23-2303, 1993).
- Wind, James O. Constructing Your Congregation's Story (AF - 23-2132, 1993).
- Carloss, Susan. Building an Effective Congregational Council (AF - 23-2131, 1992).
- Christianson, Ray and Peterson, Jim. Shaping Ministry for Your Community (23-1904, 1993).
- Rothaar, Michael. Developing Effective Committees (AF - 23-2304, 1994).
- Leaflet Series on Preparing Lay Callers: "Visitor Follow-Up (AF 15-9103), "Congregational Care" (AF 15-9102), "Community Outreach" (15-9101).
- Kallestad, Walt and Wright, Tim. Reaching the Unchurched: Creating the Vision, Planning to Grow (AF - 10-27603, video and workbook).
- Bloss, Julie L. The Church Guide to Employment Law (Christian Ministry Resources, Matthews, NC [704/841-8066], 1993).
Back to Top