Best Practices Checklist for Candidacy Committees
Vocation of First Call Congregations Project, 2010
Download this checklist Download this checklist
A checklist of ideas that can enhance or sustain best practices in candidacy committees related to beginning a first call in public ministry in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- ___ Candidates are oriented to the call process and the committee is responsive to their questions and needs in the final phase of candidacy.
- ___ Attention is given to all candidates in the synod from approval through first call, offering support in their transitions.
- ___ Ordinations, commissionings and consecrations are celebrated.
- ___ Candidates are fully informed about First Call Theological Education and encouraged to fully utilize the program as well as colleague groups and mentoring opportunities.
- ___ Opportunities are provided for conversation regarding reasonable expectations when called to a first call congregation.
- ___ Committee members realize that effective styles of ministry and relationships developed throughout the candidacy process are themselves models of effective ministry for the candidate.
- ___ Committees keep up-to-date about how other candidacy committees use effective practices with approved candidates as they transition to their first call.
- ___ Time for reflection is built into agendas, especially thinking about how well candidates have been prepared for the reality of first calls in the synod and in the ELCA.