Best Practices Checklist for Synods
Vocation of First Call Congregations Project, 2010
Download this checklist Download this checklist
A checklist of ideas that can enhance or sustain best practices in synods related to beginning a first call in public ministry in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- ___ Regular and frequent communication is established in the transition from candidacy to first call for all candidates assigned to the synod.
- ___ The synod’s call process practices are explained to assigned candidates and expectations are clear, with reasonable time lines.
- ___ Contact with an assigned candidate during the weeks or months of awaiting call is regular and dependable.
- ___ Helpful information is communicated with honesty and integrity about any congregation being considered by a first call candidate.
- ___ People are appointed and trained as first call contacts/liaisons between the synod and first call leader to offer support to new pastors and lay rostered leaders.
- ___ Clear and firm expectations for colleague group involvement is communicated.
- ___ A mentor or coach for every new leader is arranged.
- ___ Synod staff involvement in first call programs, offered by synods or regions, is regular and perceived as vital.
- ___ First call leaders are encouraged to practice healthy habits in physical, spiritual, mental and social arenas of well being.
- ___ Expectations of attending First Call Theological Education events are made clear to first call leaders and financial support given when appropriate.