Criteria for New Schools
There are many wonderful programs and ministries operated by ELCA congregations for children. The ELCA Department for Schools relates primarily to schools and early childhood education centers. To be recognized by the ELCA Department for Schools, a program must meet all of the following criteria:
- Parents enroll/register children for at least 7 months of the year.
- Children enrolled are to be in attendance generally a minimum of five hours per week divided over at least two days per week (Monday-Friday).
- Children enrolled may include any ages infant through high school.
- The program is conducted during customary school day hours (i.e., not exclusively a before or after school program).
- There are paid teachers/staff persons with the program as a primary responsibility.
- The program is operated by the congregation. (Not a separate entity renting or leasing space.)
- Programs operated by more than one congregation must meet the ELCA Affiliation criteria.
Illustrations of such programs may include:
- Part time program preschool
- Full day program preschool or daycare
- Elementary school
- Secondary School
Any exceptions to these criteria must be approved by the ELCA. If you have any questions or wish to have a program recognized with exceptions to the criteria above, contact the Director for Schools.