The Executive Committee is commissioned by and responsible to the Board of Directors to function on behalf of the Board of Directors in matters of emergency and in interim periods between regularly scheduled Board meetings. The Executive Committee shall have and exercise the authority of the Board of Directors provided that such authority shall not operate to circumvent the responsibility and authority vested in the Board of Directors by the By-laws, and any action taken is to be ratified by the Board of Directors at its first subsequent meeting.
Appointments and Composition
- The Executive Committee shall be composed of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer of the Board and one at-large member.
- The Chair of the Executive Committee shall be the President of the Board of Directors.
- The President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and one at-large member shall be elected in accordance with procedures set forth in the By-laws of the organization.
- Meet to draw up an agenda for meetings of the full Board of Directors.
- Make decisions on behalf of the full board as needed which cannot wait for the full board or on matters delegated to the Executive Committee by the Board of Directors.
- Maintain effective communication with the committees of the organization.
- Coordinate the annual planning and budget process of the organization in conjunction with the Finance Committee and the Executive Director.
- Annually review the performance of the Executive Director according to the procedures outlined in the Personnel Policies of the organization. (The Executive Director, in turn, is responsible for the annual performance review of other staff.)
- Respond to the call of the Board President or Executive Director for emergency meetings to deal with special problems between regular Board meetings.
- Annually submit objectives as part of the planning and budgeting process.
- Annually evaluate its work as a committee and the objectives it has committed itself to and report on same to the Board of Directors.
- Report to the Board of Directors at regular meetings of the Board in a manner determined by the Board.