The ELCA Fund for Leaders is an endowed scholarship resource for ELCA seminarians. One goal of the Fund is to support full tuition for every qualified candidate, studying full time at an ELCA seminary, who has a commitment to ordained or rostered lay ministry in the church. As the endowment is building, the church is committed to funding a current scholarship program. Currently 187 students are receiving tuition scholarship support through the Fund.
It is the commitment of the ELCA to build the endowment to a level that will enable the church to support every qualified candidate for ministry. But until this long-term goal is reached, the Fund is working closely with the ELCA seminaries to select Fund scholarship candidates.
The current process is as follows:
- Annually, the number of scholarships is determined by the funds available for distribution.
- In the spring of each year, the seminaries are asked to nominate a specific number of candidates who show promise for leadership ministry and have financial need.
- Candidates must be entering seminary with plans to study full-time.
- Once the candidates are nominated, they are asked to complete a Fund application which includes a 500 word essay and recommendations from the seminary Director of Admissions.
- A selection committee then reviews the nominations and scholarship awards are made.
- Fund scholarships are three year commitments to cover the base full tuition for the seminary attended as long as the students remains in good standing. Scholarships do not apply to internship year.
have established named scholarships within the Fund for Leaders endowment. Each synod
establishes its own criteria for administering scholarships. For more information about a synod's scholarship program
, please contact that synod