What is “Ministry Opportunities”?
“Ministry Opportunities” is a searchable listing of the congregations and ELCA-related organizations that are seeking to call rostered leaders in the ELCA. It allows ministry sites to publicize their position openings, and it allows rostered leaders to conduct searches for new opportunities in ministry. All the information found in “Ministry Opportunities” is taken from the MSP forms that have been submitted.
Where is “Ministry Opportunities”?
The listing is found at “Ministry Opportunities”.
How do I see the “Ministry Opportunities” snapshots?
It’s a four step process:
- go to “Ministry Opportunities”.
- fill in the search criteria on the page and click “search” at the bottom.
- you will get a Search Results page of all the sites that match your criteria.\
- click on the name of any site to read the snapshot.
What’s the best way to do a search?
On the “Ministry Opportunities” page you can enter search criteria in as many boxes (or as few) as you wish. You can also select more than one option within a dropdown menu by holding down the control key as you select your choices. Many people do searches by entering all the important criteria and then, if that search produces too few results, start removing some of the criteria for the next search.
- You can search for a specific congregation by entering the Congregational ID number in box 1 or by entering some part of the site’s name or city’s name in the next two boxes. The system will search for the exact sequence of letters you enter. If you enter “mis” in box 2 you will get “San Gabriel Mission” as well as “Mississippi Outreach Ministries”, “Eldermist Clinic” and other names that have “mis” somewhere in their name.
- In the final six boxes you can select the type of ministry site you are seeking. The system will look for matches that agree with all the choices you made (“both/and statements”, e.g. search for all MSPs that are from Region 1 and are rural).
- If you select more than one item within a dropdown menu (using the “control” key) the system will treat multiple selections as “either/or statements” (e.g. search in Region 1 or 2 or 4).
- Notice that in the “geographic preference” dropdown menu, individual synods are listed after the list of regions.
- Enter all your criteria and click on “search” at the bottom of the page.
- Notice that the list of results on the next screen can be sorted by name, location and the date the MSP was approved for posting to the system.
- Click on any site’s name to read the snapshot.
If I see something I want to pursue, what do I do?
To inquire about a position opening further, do not contact the ministry site directly. Contact the person listed on the snapshot page.
Continue to Troubleshooting