What is a Deaconess?
A Deaconess is a woman who
- is consecrated by the Church to a rostered ministry of word and service
- is part of a Community which offers vision, encouragement and guidance
- is professionally trained in a chosen vocation
- has a solid understanding of Lutheran theology
She comes from a variety of ethnic groups, ages, backgrounds, and places. She is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America or the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada.
Most importantly, she has a heart for diakonia - for loving service to all in need, because of the love of Christ. A deaconess is a bridge connecting the Church with the needs of the world.
A deaconess is a bridge connecting the Church with the needs of the world.
The Deaconess Community supports and develops skilled and committed Lutheran women to offer servant leadership to all of God’s people through service in church and society.
Empowered by the Holy Spirit for public ministry, we passionately seek to:
- Embody our mission
- Be a Christ-centered community of women
- Witness to the church and world