Here are some additional resources on the topic of ministerial health and wellness, that you may find useful.
- Gary L. Harbaugh, The Confident Christian: Seeing with the eyes of faith, Augsburg, 2000 (includes a Faith Hardiness Inventory)
- Harbaugh, Pastor as Person: Maintaining Personal Integrity in the Choices and Challenges of Ministry, Augsburg, 1984, (wholistic model — physical, thinking, feeling, relating, and choosing person)
- Kirk Byron Jones. Rest in the Storm: Self-Care Strategies for Clergy and Other Caregivers. Judson Press, Valley Forge, PA. 2001
- Rochelle Melander and Howard Eppley, The Spiritual Leader’s Guide to Self-Care, Alban, 2002 (52 week program in six sections — creating and sustaining a life vision, caring for yourself at work, caring for physical, material, spiritual and intellectual needs, and nurturing relationships includes connecting with yourself, with a partner and with God)
- Roy Oswald, Clergy Self-Care: Finding a Balance for Effective Ministry, Alban, 1991 (includes self-care strategies)
- G. Lloyd Rediger, Fit to be a Pastor: A Call to Physical, Mental and Spiritual Fitness, Westminster John Knox, 2000
- Vernon J. Bittner, You Can Help with Your Healing: A Guide for Recovering Wholeness in Body, Mind, and Spirit, Augsburg, 1993, (using the twelve step process with study guide)
- Covey S.R. Living the Seven Habits: Stories of Hope and Inspiration — The Courage to Change, Simon & Schuster, Great Britain, 1999.
- Hale W.D. and H.G. Koenig. Healing Bodies and Souls: A Practical Guide for Congregations, Fortress Press, Minneapolis. 2003
- Thomas R. McDaniel, Dr. Luke’s Prescriptions for Spiritual Health, Magnus Press, 2000 (theological perspective)
- Henri J.M. Nouwen, The Inner Voice of Love: A Journey Through Anguish to Freedom, Doubleday, 1998 (The story of depression.)
- Richardson RW. Creating a Healthier Church: Family Systems Theory, Leadership and Congregational Life. Fortress Press, Minneapolis, 1996
- Mary Catherine Bateson, Composing a Life, Penguin, 1989
- Kennon Callahan, Twelve Keys for Living: Possibilities for a Whole, Healthy Life, Jossey-Bass, 1998
- Lowell O. Erdahl, 10 Habits for Effective ministry: A Guide for Life-Giving Pastors, Augsburg, 1996
- Norma Cook Everist, Ed. Ordinary Ministry, Extraordinary Challenge: Women and the Roles of Ministry, Abingdon Press, 2000
- Terry Hershey, Soul Gardening: Cultivating the Good Life, Augsburg, 2000
- Harold Kushner, Living a Life that Matters, Anchor Books, 2001
- Richard J. Leider. The Power of Purpose: Creating Meaning in Your Life and Work, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc. San Francisco. 1997
- Parker J. Palmer, Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation, Jossey-Bass, 2000
- Bob Sitze, Not Trying Too Hard: New Basics for Sustainable Congregations, Alban Institute, 2001
Sabbath / Sabbatical
- A. Richard Bullock and Richard Bruesehoff, Clergy Renewal: The Alban Guide to Sabbatical Planning, Alban Institute, 2000
- Marva J. Dawn, Keeping the Sabbath Wholly: Ceasing, resting, embracing, feasting, Wm. B Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1989
- Wayne Muller, Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives, Bantam Books, 1999
- Johann Christoph Arnold, Seeking Peace: Notes and Conversations Along the Way, The Plough Publishing House, 1998
- Dorothy C. Bass, Ed. Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997
- Joan Chittister, Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today, Harper Collins Publishing, 1990
- Debra K. Farrington, Living Faith Day By Day: How the Sacred Rules of Monastic Traditions Can Help You Live Spiritually in the Modern World, The Berkeley Publishing Group, 2000
- Kent Ira Groff, Active Spirituality: A Guide for Seekers and Ministers, Alban Institute, 1993
- Kathleen Norris, The Cloister Walk, Riverhead Books, 1996
- Deborah Kesten. Feeding the Body, Nourishing the Soul: Essentials of Eating for Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Well-Being. Conari Press, Berkely, CA. 1997
- Deborah Kesten. The Healing Secrets of Food: A Practical Guide for Nourishing Body, Mind, and Soul. New World Library, Novato, CA. 2001
- Carolyn Scott Kortge. The Spirited Walker: Fitness Walking for Clarity, Balance, and Spiritual Connection. HarperSanFrancisco, 1998.
- Christiane Northrup, M.D. Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing. Bantam Books, New York, 1994.
Death and Dying
- Dardis, S. and C. Rogers. As I Journey On: Meditations for Those Facing Death. Augsburg Books, Minneapolis. 2000
- Nouwen, H.J.M. Our Greatest Gift: A Meditation on Dying and Caring. Harper Collins, 1995.
- Westberg, G.E. Good Grief. Augsburg Books, Minneapolis. 1962