1. Not his real name.
2. For more information, including job description and application process, see www.redbullu.com (accessed December 15, 2011).
3. For more examples of campus rep programs, see www.apple.com/education/campusreps and www.repnation.com/RepNationCom/HighlightedCampaigns.aspx (accessed December 15, 2011).
4. See, for example, Bruce Horovitz, "Marketers get creative targeting hard-to-reach college students" (USA TODAY, October 3, 2010) for a description of American Eagle Outfitters' tailored approach to marketing on the West Virginia University campus in 2010. Available online at www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/2010-10-03-marketing-to-college-students_N.htm (accessed December 15, 2011).
5. On my campus, a recent event called the Ann Taylor Casting Call brought together the student clubs Women in Business and MODA (a fashion showcasing organization) around the ideas of interview etiquette and attire, elevator pitches, an online resume book, and deep student discounts on Ann Taylor clothing at the locations nearest to campus.
6. "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal; but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also" (NRSV).
7. Luther, Martin. "The Sermon on the Mount (Sermons) and the Magnificat" in Luther's Works: American Edition, vol. 21, Jaroslav Pelikan, ed. (St. Louis: Concordia, 1956), p. 171.
8. Ibid., pp. 171-2.
9. See "An Open Letter to Pope Leo X" (preceding "The Freedom of a Christian") in Luther's Works: American Edition, vol. 31, Harold J. Grimm, ed. (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1957), pp. 336, 342.
10. See www.stolaf.edu/church/identity/introduction.html (accessed December 15, 2011).
11. Joseph Sittler, Running With the Hounds: Conversation With Campus Ministry (Delivered as lectures at the Center for the Study of Campus Ministry, June 12-17, 1977, and reprinted by permission by the Department for Campus Ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, 8765 West Higgins Road, Chicago, IL, 60631. Reprint Editor, Galen Hora), p. 110. [Available in its entirety as a free download at www.josephsittler.org/text/running_with_the_hounds.html.]
12. See Simone Weil, "Reflections on the Right Use of School Studies with a View to the Love of God" in Waiting for God (New York: Harper Collins, 2009), pp. 57-66.
© January 2012
Journal of Lutheran Ethics
Volume 12, Issue 1