A visual tour of ELCA congregations, people and events.
All who labor
In honor of Labor Day, take a break and a visual tour of how ELCA congregations celebrate the day and the winding down of summer.
Mt. Horeb Lutheran Church, Chapin, S.C., is hosting a Country Fried Steak Dinner to benefit St. Paul Lutheran Church (Pomaria, S.C.) Restoration Fund — the congregation lost their buildings in a January 2013 fire.
On Labor Day 2012 the youth from Trinity Lutheran Church, Freeland, Wash., labored at Helping Hand of South Whidbey. They trimmed bushes, pulled weeds and preformed general cleanup of the grounds.
Members of St. James Lutheran Church, Limerick, Pa., labor for the Lord on Labor Day weekends. The congregation takes on significant service projects.
Youth from Risen Savior Lutheran Church, McFarland, Wis., participate in a parade.
For more than 10 years, Coastside Lutheran Church, Half Moon Bay, Calif., has held an annual book sale on Labor Day weekend.
School's back in session!
Lutherans have a long tradition in providing education in the community. Martin Luther had a lot to say about the importance of education. He said that the role of school teacher, second only to pastor, was the “most useful, greatest, and best” — Sermon on the Duty of Sending Children to School.
Solomon Lutheran School, a kindergarten-through-sixth grade school in Woodville, Ohio, is the oldest school in the ELCA.
Students at Leif Ericson Day School, Brooklyn, N.Y., share worship and activities centered around a U.N. International Day of Peace.
Opening convocation at Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary, Columbia, S.C., August 2012.
Fall at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Wash., one of the ELCA’s 26 colleges and universities.
Bill Gates, Microsoft founder, answers student questions at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minn., on April 27, 2013.
2013 Churchwide Assembly: Deeply rooted and always being made new
With the election of a new ELCA presiding bishop and secretary, a celebration of this church’s 25th anniversary and the approval of the ELCA’s first major fundraising campaign, the 2013 Churchwide Assembly did indeed deliver on its theme — “Deeply rooted and always being made new.” Here is but a small pictorial sampling of the events that took place in Pittsburgh Aug. 12-17.
The consecration of the elements at the assembly worship on Wednesday, Aug. 14.
Sweet hospitality — the Women of the ELCA in the ELCA Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod baked approximately 25,740 cookies to share with those attending the assembly.
Cynthia Osbourne, chair of the task force for the ELCA social statement on criminal justice, is on stage with, from left, Roger Willer, ELCA director for theological ethics; David Frederickson, a member of the task force; and Jack Munday, a member of the ELCA Church Council and liaison to the task force.
David Swartling, left, the current secretary of the ELCA, enjoys a moment with Denis Madden, auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Baltimore. Bishop Madden received a standing ovation after he extended greetings to the assembly on Aug. 13.
Elizabeth A. Eaton, bishop of the ELCA Northeastern Ohio Synod, awaits news of the election for presiding bishop with voting members from her synod. Bishop Eaton won the election on the fifth ballot.
ELCA Southeastern Iowa Synod voting members, following instructions from Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson, share with each other one person whose witness has had a strong influence on their faith life and one person to whom they are now witnessing.
Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson receives the Servus Dei Medal, which honors officers of the ELCA at the completion of their terms and continues a tradition begun in our predecessor church bodies.
Wm. Chris Boerger and his wife, Dede, embrace after the announcement of his election as the secretary of the ELCA.
Moments in time: past Churchwide Assemblies
We are a church that is deeply rooted and always being made new! From the first Churchwide Assembly held in Rosemont, Ill., in 1989 to the 13th assembly opening Monday, Aug. 12, in Pittsburgh, there have been many changes over the past 25 years, but we remain deeply rooted as a part of God’s new creation.
Herbert W. Chilstrom, presiding bishop, celebrates the Eucharist at the 1989 Churchwide Assembly in Rosemont, Ill.
Martin Marty, an ELCA pastor and chair of the drafting team for the Called to Common Mission proposal for full communion with the Episcopal Church, introduces the topic to the 1999 assembly in Denver.
The seventh biennial Churchwide Assembly was held in Indianapolis in 2001 — The Choir greeted assembly-goers with a rousing gospel song.
The exhibit area at the August 1995 Churchwide Assembly in Minneapolis.
Members of the national news media attend a news conference held at the 2009 assembly in Minneapolis.
Raphaela Moralis Rosa, pastor of St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Bridgeport, Conn., presides at a morning Eucharist at the eighth assembly in Denver. The service was conducted in English and Spanish.
Where in the world?
More than 240 ELCA missionaries, volunteers and global personnel are serving in over 40 countries, working side by side with their neighbors. They teach, preach, heal, build and grow this church.
ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson anoints the hands of missionaries at the Summer Missionary Conference held in late July at Carthage College, Kenosha, Wis.
English teachers, Morgan Dixon, Caroline Keenan and Laura Fentress don kimonos at a traditional tea ceremony in Japan. The women were invited to the home of a member of the local church who is also a tea master. Note the crucifix display in the upper right corner, a Christian adaptation of the traditional Japanese household shrine.
Martin Zimmann and his son, Seth, are shown on Palm Sunday in Jerusalem. Martin and his wife, Angela, are special assistants to Munib Younan, the presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land, and are co-pastors at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, the English-speaking congregation in Jerusalem.
Megan Ross plants an avocado tree in Indonesia. Megan is a teacher at the Huria Kristen Batak Protestan Deaconess School in Baliage, North Sumatra.
On a recent visit to Tanzania, Clifton Eshbach (left), assistant to the bishop in the Lower Susquehanna Synod of the ELCA and Kurt Strause, pastor of Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Lancaster, Pa., met with ELCA missionary Barbara Robertson in the city of Morogoro.
Justin and Kari Eller serve as missionaries in La Paz, Bolivia. Justin is a pastor of Iglesia Evangelica Luterana Boliviana and a pastoral team educator who helps educate national Bolivian missionaries. Kari works with Justin in translation, curriculum development and education methodologies. Before moving to Bolivia, Kari taught Spanish for four years in the Chicago Public School system.
In Nomine Jesu: J.S. Bach
On July 28 the church remembers its most celebrated musician, Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Known as one of the greatest musical geniuses in history, Bach was also a dedicated Lutheran.
The Leipzig Bach Festival — The city of Leipzig, Germany, annually holds a large musical extravaganza in honor of the beloved composer.
The Bachhaus in Eisenach, Germany, is a museum dedicated to J.S. Bach, who was born in the city. He also spent the first 10 years of his life in Eisenach. The museum boasts 600 displays and over 250 original exhibits — including a Bach music autograph.
Autographed manuscript of Johann Sebastian Bach’s “Der Herr ist mein Gertreuer Hirt “(“The Lord is my faithful shepherd”), BWV 112, Dated April 8, 1731. With permission of the Morgan Library.
Who’s buried in Bach’s tomb? Bach was buried in an unmarked grave in 1750. Because of an 1894 expansion of the church graveyard at Johanneskirsche, there was an opportunity to determine the exact location of his grave. Based on the casket type, gender and age of the skeleton there was a probability that his remains may have been found. The remains were re-interred only to be moved again to the Thomaskirsche when the first church was destroyed in World War II.
Bach statue at Thomaskirche (St. Thomas Church), a Lutheran church in Leipzig. Bach was the Kapellmeister there from 1723 until his death in 1750. The statue by Carl Seffner was dedicated in 1908.
Germany issued this stamp in 1971 in celebration of the 250th anniversary of Bach’s composition of the Brandenburg Concertos.