Help us to continue working for a lasting peace with justice in the Holy Land
How and Why We Do Advocacy
- How & Why We Do Advocacy - Check out this statement put out by the ELCA's Washington Offices on the ELCA engages in Advocacy.
- Learn more about the ELCA's role in advocacy in the Middle East.
- The 1999 ELCA Churchwide Assembly committed this church to work with other churches and organizations to build a Culture of Peace and Nonviolence through 2010. Learn more about the Decade for a Culture of Nonviolence, which originated from the work of twenty Nobel Peace Laureates, including Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, Desmond Tutu, and the Dalai Lama.
What Can You Do?
- Write or call your congress representatives based on Peace Not Walls action alerts. A written letter or phone call makes a stronger impact than email.. Click here to find your congress people.
- Write a letter to the editor or an op-ed for your local newspaper.
- Host a conference on Peace with Justice in the Holy Land and introduce people to our companions, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land and an Israeli peacemaker via skype. Peace Not Walls can help you identify speakers, moderators and resources. Invite all local churches.
- Purchase Palestinian crafts for congregational craft fairs or for your own personal gifts to support the ailing Palestinian economy.
- Utilize selective purchasing to avoid buying products made in illegal Israeli settlements built on Palestinian land.
- Find out how some theologies and ways of looking at the bible can negatively affect our companions. Explore alternatives. Find resources here.
- 2013's Week for Peace in Palestine and Israel: Plan events for September 22-28, 2013, which has been designated by the World Council of Churches for advocacy for a just peace in the Holy Land. Find WCC resources here and see links below:
Advocacy through Accompaniment
Learn about more ways to get involved in supporting our companions and a just peace in Palestine and Israel.
To talk to someone about resources, speakers, ideas for your event or your travel, contact Peace Not Walls Coordinator Karin Brown at Karin Brown
or 202 626 7937 or Julie Rowe at Julie Rowe
or 773 380 2720.