ELCA Churchwide Assembly Action CA97.02.3
Passed by the 1997 Churchwide Assembly in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
To support the call for an international ban on the use, production, stockpile, and sale, transfer, or export of anti-personnel land mines;
To call on the government of the United States to sign as soon as possible an international treaty that bans anti-personnel landmines immediately and to increase support for international and bilateral programs for humanitarian mine clearance and mine victim assistance;
To encourage members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America to:
- Learn about the landmines issue;
- Join the Lutheran World Relief and Church World Service petition to ban anti-personnel land mines;
- Contact the President of the United States and their U.S. Senators and Representatives in support of an international treaty, which bans land mines immediately;
- Support the ELCA World Hunger Appeal, so that increased attention can be given to humanitarian mine-clearance efforts and mine-victim assistance, through Lutheran World Relief and other international partners;
- Pray for victims of land mines; and
- To encourage the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America — its churchwide organization, synods, congregations, and church-related organizations—to advocate for a global ban on land mines, for mine clearance, and for mine-victim assistance.