ELCA Churchwide Assembly Action CA01.02.07
Passed by the 2001 Churchwide Assembly in Indianapolis, Indiana.
To thank the Southeastern Synod for bringing the Birmingham Pledge to the attention of this church:
- Every person has worth as an individual.
- Every person is entitled to dignity and respect, regardless of race and color.
- Every thought and every act of racial prejudice is harmful.
- If it is my thought or act, then it is harmful to me as well as to others.
Therefore, from this day forward, I will...
- Strive daily to eliminate racial prejudice from my thoughts and actions
- Discourage racial prejudice by others at every opportunity.
- Treat all people with dignity and respect.
- Strive daily to honor this pledge, knowing that the world will be a better place because of my effort.
To endorse the Birmingham Pledge, urging individual members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America to sign it; and
To call upon the individuals, congregations, synods, schools, and affiliated agencies and institutions of this church to explore using the Birmingham Pledge in their efforts to overcome racism.