ELCA Churchwide Assembly Action CA01.07.71
Passed by the 2001 Churchwide Assembly in Indianapolis, Indiana.
To acknowledge the concern for deaf ministry within the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as expressed in the memorial of the Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod; and
To affirm the April 2001 action of the ELCA Church Council in support of the recommendations of the Division for Church in Society that:
- The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America lift up and support the unique culture and language, American Sign Language (ASL), of deaf persons;
- That deaf ministry be housed within the Division for Church in Society;
- That deaf ministry be separated from disability ministries in structure and budget;
- That a part-time director for deaf ministry be hired to assist ELCA deaf congregations, recruit leadership for deaf congregations, and act as the liaison between the Evangelical Lutheran Deaf Association and the ELCA's deaf ministry;
- That the Division for Church in Society be committed to increasing support for this ministry as it becomes possible.