Atonement Lutheran Church
Atonement Lutheran Church was organized in 1947 by the merger of Ebenezer Evangelical Lutheran Church and Our Savior's United Lutheran Church, itself a merger of Siloam Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church and Gethsemane Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1942. Atonement and its predecessor congregations were members of the United Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church.
By the late 1930s and 1940s, Ebenezer planned to relocate to a new, larger facility. After being approached by Our Savior's United, which needed to relocate, but could not afford the task on their own, the two congregations decided to merge in 1947. A new building was constructed on the northwest corner of North and Rutherford Avenues.
|Hans C. Jersild
Records are at Atonement Lutheran Church, 6740 W. North Ave., Chicago, IL 60635. The ELCA Archives has a microfilm copy of Atonement's membership records from 1947-1950 on ALC #515, as well as film from several of Atonement's predecessor congregations.
The Illinois District of The United Evangelical Lutheran Church celebrates its Golden Jubilee, 1897-1947. Blair, Neb.: Lutheran Publishing House, 1947.