St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Organized as St. Stefans Dansk Ev. Lutheran Kirke on January 10, 1875, as a member of the Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church (later the American Evangelical Lutheran Church), it later became St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Church.
In 1888 a lot was purchased between 36th and 37th on Butterfield St. (now Federal St.). The original building (pictured above) was dedicated on December 30, 1888.
As the Danish immigrants relocated to other neighborhoods in Chicago, the congregation moved to 64th and Eberhart, where the building (pictured above, interior pictured below) was dedicated on September 27, 1907.
As the Danish population continued to move southward, two lots were purchased in June 1935 at 85th and Maryland. Services were first held in the basement in 1936, with the completed building (pictured at top) dedicated on December 18, 1938.
Pastor Adam Dan at St. Stephen's altar.Pastors
Viggo M. Hansen
Alfred E. Sorensen
Harry S. Anderson
1959- Original records
Original Danish records are no longer located at the church. No current location is known and no microfilm exists. The ELCA Archives has congregation histories, church correspondence and other materials relating to St. Stephen's.
St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Church, 75th Anniversary booklet, 1950.
St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Church yearbook, 1965.