Martin Luther Evangelical Lutheran Church
Martin Luther Church was founded in 1918 in the Belmont neighborhood of Chicago as a member of the Wartburg Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America.
Aided by the Home Mission Board of the Wartburg Synod and by Rev. Johannes Traeger, the congregation was organized on March 17, 1918. Purchasing lots at the corner of New England Avenue and Addison St., a portable wood chapel (pictured above) was built.
After the wood chapel was damaged in a windstorm in 1926, the congregation built a brick bungalow church, which was dedicated Feb. 27, 1927.
A third building (pictured below) was constructed in 1959 and 1960, with the "Service of Entry" taking place on June 5, 1960.
|Paul K. Nordsiek
|Arthur H. Fabian
|Paul Wm. Schubert
|Ralph A. McClintock
|Robert E. Scrack
Original record books should be found at Martin Luther Church, 6850 W. Addison St., Chicago, IL 60634.
Semler-Delmar, Elizabeth, "Martin Luther Church: A Review of the First Seventy-Five Years," Chicago: Martin Luther Church, 1993.