Mont Clare Evangelical Lutheran Church / Church of the Good Shepherd
Mont Clare Evangelical Lutheran Church, the name of which was later changed to the Church of the Good Shepherd, was organized on September 12, 1920, led by the Rev. O. Doering, Mission Superintendent of the Wartburg Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America.
In October 1920 property at Palmer Street and Nordica Avenue was secured and the first church building was constructed, with dedication taking place on November 20, 1921.
A new church building on the same site was constructed between 1953 and 1957, with dedication held on May 19, 1957.
On Dec. 31, 1975, Redeemer Lutheran at Iowa and Lockwood merged into Good Shepherd.
|Kenwood K. Engel
Original record books should be found at Good Shepherd, 7116 W. Palmer St., Chicago, IL 60707-3234. The ELCA Archives has congregational histories and other materials relating to Good Shepherd.
The Church of the Good Shepherd, Dedication Program, 1957.