North Austin Lutheran Church
North Austin English Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized on September 12, 1920 by the United Lutheran Church in America at 1500 N. Mason Ave, at LeMoyne Ave.
The organization of the congregation resulted from the work of the Board of Home Mission of the ULCA, which purchased lots in 1916 at the corner of Mason Avenue and LeMoyne Street in the undeveloped neighborhood of North Austin. The Board proceeded with the experiment of constructing a permanent bungalow chapel before any congregation was organized. The chapel was dedicated on the same date as the congregation was organized.
Growth was rapid and a new building was constructed in 1922, with the first service held in the partial completed building on November 30, 1922. Dedication was held for the first unit of the new building on February 4, 1923. Work on the next stage in the building began in 1924, with dedication taking place in September 1925.
By 1937 North Austin was the second largest church in the ULCA.
A parish house (at right in picture below) was added in 1954.
Original record books should be found at North Austin Lutheran Church, 1500 N. Mason Ave., Chicago, IL 60651-1045. The ELCA Archives has congregational histories, church publications and other materials relating to North Austin.
Chimes, Dedication and Fifth Anniversary program, Chicago: North Austin English Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1925.
North Austin Lutheran Church, Parish House Dedication program, 1954.