St. Luke's English Lutheran Church
St. Luke's English Lutheran Church at 2649 N. Francisco Ave., at Schubert Ave., was organized in 1900 as a member of the Chicago Synod of the General Council. The congregation resulted from Sunday School worked conducted in the area by St. Peter's Lutheran Church, beginning in vacant stores in 1898. The congregation was officially organized June 1, 1900.
A lot on the southeast corner of North Francisco and Mariana (now Schubert) Avenues was given to the congregation and a building constructed in 1900, with the building dedicated on January 13, 1901.
By 1906 the congregation was in need of a larger building. Construction on the Assembly Hall (pictured above) took place in 1907.
In 1925-26 the new church building (pictured below) was constructed.
In 1927 St. Luke's absorbed St. James Lutheran (1901, Northern Illinois Synod of the General Synod), which was located at Wrightwood and Drake.
A new parish house was added in 1957. Pastors
1960-1963 Sons of the congregation
Louis Valbracht Original records
Original record books should be located at St. Luke's Lutheran Church, 2649 N. Francisco Ave., Chicago, IL 60647. The ELCA Archives has congregational histories, church publications and other materials relating to St. Luke's.
Sources Fiftieth Anniversary of St. Luke's Lutheran Church