Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church
Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1907 as a member of the Wartburg Synod of the General Synod in the Gage Park neighborhood of Chicago.
The first services were held in a store at 51st and Oakley. In 1909 two lots were purchased at 53rd and Maplewood. The church building (pictured at left) was constructed in 1909.
In 1927 the building was enlarged and remodeled. In 1938 the building again was remodeled in a Gothic style. The building program continued through 1939 and 1940 with the enlarged sanctuary (pictured below) dedicated on November 17, 1940. An addition with Sunday School classrooms was added in 1958. Pastors
John E. Lignell
1964-1991 Original records
The original record books should be located at Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church, 5302 S. Maplewood Ave., Chicago, IL 60632. The ELCA Archives has congregational histories and other materials relating to Tabor.
Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church, Golden Anniversary of Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church