Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod Congregations
Ashburn, org. 1946, W. 83rd and Homan Ave.
Bethany (North Side), org. Nov. 15, 1905. Located at Thorndale & Magnolia Aves. from 1909. Pastors include Karl G. Schlerf 1906-1949.
Bethany (Northwest), 1504 N. Lorel Ave.
Bethany (Bethania) (Northwest), org. May 28, 1891. Located at Cortez (Humboldt Park Blvd.) and N. Rockwell (2612 Cortez St.) from 1892-1930, and Wabansia and Narragansett Aves., from 1926-on. Pastors include Edward Pardieck 1890-1902, August Burgdorf 1902-1938, Paul J. Roeder 1938-.
Bethel, org. June 22, 1894. Located at Hirsch St. & Springfield Ave. from 1895-on. Pastors include Eugen Pfund 1894-1914, Leo Schmidtke 1914-1934, William Boehm 1935-.
Bethesda, org. October 1920 in the Rogers Park neighborhood. Located at 8107 N. Western Ave., from 1920-1925, N. Campbell and Farwell from 1925-1935, and in a new facility also at N. Campbell and Farwell from 1935-on. Pastors include Herbert W. Luecke 1920-1926, Frank P.A. Wittmer 1926-.
Bethlehem, org. 1879, 103rd St. & Ave. H. Pastors include: J. Feiertag (ca. 1894), E.F. Haertel (ca. 1904), Tr. Thieme (ca. 1924).
Bethlehem, org. 1871, see First Bethlehem
Chatham Fields, org. June 13, 1939. Located at St. Lawrence Ave. and E. 81st St. from 1939. Pastors include Laurance A. Boseck from 1939.
Christ English Ev. Lutheran Church was organized as an English-speaking offshoot of First Norwegian Lutheran Church (Lake View) in 1890. Organized through joint mission work of the Norwegian Synod and the German Pastoral Conference of the Missouri Synod, the congregation was organized on Sept. 14, 1891. It was located at N. Hoyne Ave. & Augusta from 1893-1926, and N. Long & LeMoyne (1511 N Long Ave.) from 1925-on. Pastors include A. Sloan Bartholomew in 1891, H.J.G. Bartholomew 1892-1898, Ernest F. Haertel 1899-1938, Warner H. Grothman 1938-1947, Richard C. Stuckmeyer 1947-.
Christ (Logan Square), org. March 8, 1885 in Town Jefferson from Sunday School work by First Bethlehem beginning in 1882. Located at N. Humboldt and W. Byron Aves. from 1882-1885, at McLean Ave. & Richmond St. (2018 Richmond St.) from 1885-1896 until that building was destroyed by fire, rebuilt at McLean Ave. and Richmond in 1896. Last listed in 1990 LCMS yearbook. Pastors include Ernst Werfelmann, 1882-1929, J.H. Werfelmann (asst.) 1899-1905, Walter George Dippold 1929-1949, Frederick H. Schwandt (asst.) 1929-1941, Louis J. Schwartzkopf (asst.) 1941-1943, A.H. Fellwock, 1949-.
Concordia, org, June 29, 1891 through mission work of Christ Lutheran (Logan Square) in the Avondale area. Located at California Ave. and Centre Ave. from 1888-1891, and Belmont & Washtenaw Aves from 1893-on. Records destroyed in a fire in 1945. Pastors include Paul Brauns 1891-1895, Carl F. Dietz 1895-1906, Ferdinand Doederlein (asst.) 1901-1906, Alfred E. Reinke 1906-1943, Frederick John Pfotenhauer 1943-1948, August C. Waechter 1949-..
Doctor Martin Luther Slovak, org. April 6, 1913. Located in the school of St. Martini congregation at W. 51st St. and Marshfield 1913-1918, 4953 S. Honore 1918-?, later at W. 54th and S. Francisco. Member of the Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church, which merged into the Missouri Synod in 1971. Located at 5344 S Francisco Ave., Chicago, IL 60632-2226.
Ebenezer Evangelical, org. May 9, 1901. Used a chapel at S. Keeler Ave., near 13th St. (also listed at 1318 S. 42nd Ave.) from 1901-1913, and at S. Harding Ave. & 13th St. from 1913. Pastors include William Gahl 1901-1956. Current address: 1248 S. Harding, P.O. Box 6687, Chicago, IL 60623-1347, or e-mail: email@example.com.
Emmaus, org. April 2, 1888 as daughter congregation of First St. John. Located at Oakley between Fulton and Kinzie from 1875-1888, N. California Ave. & Walnut St. 1888-1945, Lorel and LeMoyne 1947-1948, and Gladys and Lotus Streets (former building of Westminster Presbyterian) 1948-on. Pastors include Martin Fuelling 1888-1939, Walter E. Roschke 1940-on. The congregation withdrew from the LCMS in 1962 to join Evangelical Lutheran Synod. As of 2002, still located at 5440 W. Gladys Ave., Chicago, IL 60644.
Faith, org. April 8, 1914. Located at Cosmopolitan Hall at 7938 S. Halsted St. from 1914-1916, and at 83rd & Sangamon Sts. from 1916. Pastors include Elmer V. Haserodt 1914-on, A. Fred Grothe (asst.) 1949-.
First Bethlehem, org. June 26, 1871 out of mission school operated by First St. John's from 1867. Located at N. Paulina and LeMoyne (formerly McReynolds) from 1867, at 1649 W Le Moyne St., Chicago, IL 60622-2240. Pastors include Augustus Reinke 1871-1899, Edwin Reinke 1893-1919, Arthur L. Reinke 1900-1934, Clemens Thies 1934-1945, Norman W. Heimsoth 1945-1949, Arthur E. Krause 1949-on. The Newberry Library has microfilm of some of their early records.
First Immanuel (or Emanuel), org. March 19, 1854. Originally located at 12th St. (now Roosevelt Rd.), just west of Blue Island Ave. (Hoosier Ave. before 1853), from 1854-1864, Taylor and Brown (Sangamon) 1864-1888, Ashland Blvd. and Roosevelt Rd., at 1124 S. Ashland from 1888. Pastors include George Schick 1954-1856, J.A.F.W. Mueller 1856-1863, William Heinemann (asst.) 1857, Gotthilf Simon Loeber (asst.) 1858, Herman F. Fruechtenicht (asst.) 1860, John Paul Beyer 1863-1871, W. Richter (asst.) 1865-1866, Anton Wagner (asst.) 1867, G.A. Barth (asst.) 1869, Christian Koerner 1871-1872, Rudolph Carl Henry Lange 1872-1878, Louis Hoelter 1878-1922, John Merkel (asst.) 1881-1883, Jacob Seidel (asst.)1884-1895, Edward Hoelter 1922-1933 (asst. prior to 1922), Herman M. Bauer 1933-1941, G.C. Bauer (asst.) 1933-1934, Erwin H. Meinzen 1942-1948, August L. Oltroge 1948-on. The Newberry Library has microfilm of some of their records.
First St. John's (St. John's), org. March 28 1867, dissolved 1974. Located at Superior and Bickerdike 1867-1905, N. Hoyne and Walton, 1905-1974. Pastors include Traugott Johannes Grosse 1867-1875, Henry H. Succop 1875-1919, J. Theodore Brohm (asst.) 1881-?, Paul Sauer (asst. from 1896-1919) 1896-1946, Raymond Fechner (asst.) 1939-1942, Carl E. Krog 1946-1963. Contact Concordia Historical Institute for information on records.
First St. Paul's Lutheran Church, org. 1846, and reorganized April 9, 1848, out of St. Paul's German Evangelical Church, organized in 1843 and located at Ohio and LaSalle Sts. First St. Paul's is the oldest Lutheran congregation in Chicago and is often referred to as "the birthplace of the Missouri Synod." Located on Indiana (now Grand) between Wells and Franklin Sts. from 1849-1864, Superior and North Franklin 1864-1871, and at 1301 N. LaSalle St., at Goethe St. from 1910. Pastors include Christian August Thomas Selle 1846-1851, Henry Wunder 1851-1913, John Baumgaertner (asst. from 1896-1913) 1896-1918, Henry G.W. Kowert 1916-1944, Louis W. Grother (asst. from 1937-1944) 1937-1949, James G. Manz (asst. from 1946-1949) 1946-on. The Newberry Library has microfilm of some of their records.
Lutheran Church of the First Trinity, also known as Trinity Lutheran, was organized in 1865. Originally located at S. Canal and 25th Place from 1865-1906, it moved to 31st St. & Lowe, at 643 W. 31st St., in 1906. The congregation left the Missouri Synod in 1976 to join the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches, which merged with two other bodies to form the ELCA in 1988. Pastors include Ferdinand Doederlein 1866-1877, Louis Lochner 1877-1909, Fred C. Leeb (asst.) 1882-ca. 1884, Gotthilf Simon Loeber (asst.) 1884-1890, August Lange (asst.) 1890-1893, Arthur H.C. Both 1910-on.
Gage Park, org. 1940s?, Dissolved 1970s?
Gethsemane, org. 1889, Originally listed at 4407 Wentworth Ave., later at Princeton Ave. & 45th Place. Pastors include J.G. Nuetzel, 1894.
Golgotha, S. Lincoln Ave. & Marquette Road, also listed as Marquette & Wolcott.
Grace (Northwest), Wrightwood Ave. & Lamon St. Formed by English-speaking members of Holy Cross Polish. Now located at 2725 N. Laramie Ave., 60639-1615.
Grace (West Side), org. 1901, S. Karlov Ave. & 28th St.
Holy Cross Polish (Northwest), org. 1900, Wrightwood & Lamon St. English-speaking members formed Grace English, also at Wrightwood and Lamon St. Records for Holy Cross at Grace English?
Holy Cross (Lutheran Church of the Holy Cross) (South), org. 1886, S. Racine Ave. (Centre Ave.) & 31st. Pastors include W. Uffenbeck, 1894. Currently located at 3116 S. Racine, 60608-6405.
Hope, 6400 S. Washtenaw Ave.
Immanuel, see First Immanuel
Immanuel (South Side) (Called South Chicago Church in 1894 directory), org. 1873, 9031 Houston Ave. Pastors include F. Sievers, 1894.
Jefferson Park, 4811 Milwaukee Ave.
Jehovah, org. 1908, Ridgeway & Belden Aves., now called: Jehovah-El Buen Pastor Lutheran Church, 3740 W Belden Ave., Chicago, IL 60647-2348.
Lord Jesus Polish, org. 38th Place & Albany Ave.
Martin Luther Slovak, see Doctor Martin Luther
Mount Olive, Tripp & Byron, left the Missouri Synod in 1976 and joined the AELC. Joining the ELCA in the merger of 1988, it left in 1990 to join the American Association of Lutheran Church.
Nazareth, Originally at N. Campbell Ave., near Fullerton Ave., later at W. 60th St. & Spaulding Ave. Pastors include M. Dederer, 1894.
Our Savior Deaf, 1400 Ridgeway Ave. Organized in 1896. First listed as Deaf and Dumb Church. Originally worshipped at First Bethlehem, N. Paulina and McReynolds. By 1910 located at 2127 Crystal. By 1925 located at 1400 Ridgeway. By 2001 worshipping at Calvary Lutheran, P.O. Box 175, Wood Dale, IL 60191-0175.
Our Savior's, org. 1896, Northcott & W. Circle.
Peace, org. 1902, 43rd St. & S. California Ave.
Pilgrim, org. 1912, Cuyler Ave. & N. Lincoln, later at 4300 N. Winchester Ave., left the Missouri Synod in 1976 and joined the AELC. Joining the ELCA in the merger of 1988.
Pilgrim (South), org. ?, Archer & Kildare. Merged with Zion at 19th & Peoria to form Beautiful Savior, 1956, located at Archer & Kildare.
Redeemer, org. 1901, Harvard & 64th Sts.
St. Andrew, also called Andreas Church, org. 1889, 37th & Honore Sts. (3650 Honore). Pastors include W.C. Kohn, 1888-1913. Left the Missouri Synod around 1972 to join the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod. Congregation still located at 3658 S. Honore, Chicago, IL 60609.
St. James' Lutheran Church (St. Jacobi, St. Jakobi), organized 1869.
Sophia (later Garfield, now Dickens) and Fremont, 1870-present
Previously listed at 2046 N. Fremont, now 2050 N. Fremont, with mailing address of 2101 N. Fremont St., Chicago, IL 60614-4305.
William Bartling, 1870-1897
John Ernst August Mueller, asst., 1882-1884
William C. Kohn, asst., 1887-1888
Albert Bartling, asst., 1893-1895
Karl Schmidt, 1897-1927
Herman C. Guebert, 1926-1927
Louis Seidel, 1927-1937
Arthur C. Dahms, 1936-?
The Newberry Library has microfilm of some of their records.
St. John's, see First St. John's.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Luke was organized in 1884 as a member of the Missouri Synod. It left the Missouri Synod to join the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches (AELC) in 1976. Since 1884, St. Luke has been located at Belmont and Greenview (formerly Perry) Aves., at 1500 W. Belmont Ave. The Newberry Library has microfilm of some of their records. Pastors include J.E.A. Mueller, 1894.
St. Luke's (Northwest), org. 1912, N. Long & LeMoyne.
St. Mark's (Marcus) (West Side), org. 1887, Originally listed at 1114 S. California Ave., later at S. California & 23rd St. Pastors include Th. Kohn, 1894. Last listed in 1976.
St. Martin's (Martini), org. 1887, W. 51st St & S. Marshfield Ave. (or S. Ashland). Pastors include F.C. Leeb, 1894.
St. Matthew's, was located on Hoyne Ave., between 20th and 21st, and later was listed at 2108 W. 21st. It's former pastors include Herman Engelbrecht, Herman Engelbrecht, Jr. and T.F. Siemon. The Newberry Library has microfilm of some of their records.
St. Paul (See First St. Paul)
St. Paul (South Side), org. 1888, Originally listed at Madison Ave., near S. Chicago Ave., later at Dorchester Ave. & 76th St. Pastors include August Frederking, H. Brauns, 1894.
St. Paul's (Northwest), org. 1886, N. Menard Ave. & Iowa St.
St. Peter's, org. 1871, originally located at South Dearborn and 39th St., it later moved to 74th St. & Michigan Ave. Now located at 8550 S Kedvale Ave, Chicago, IL 60652-3608. Pastors include Franz Lehmann, 1878, F.P. Merbitz, 1894. Church web site at www.stpeterchicago.com.
St. Philip's, org, 1896, originally listed at Lawrence Ave., cor. N. Hoyne Ave., later Oakley & Lawrence Aves., and later at Bryn Mawr and Campbell perhaps. Pastors include W.H. Ganske, 1894.
St. Stephen's, org. 1889, Originally listed at 838 W. 61st Place, later at 65th & Peoria Sts. In 1894 two LCMS congregations listed at 61st Place address: St. Stephen's, served by O.L. Kairkaberg and St. Stephanus, served by Adolph Buenger.
Tabor, org, 1906, Sunnyside & Drake Aves.
Trinity (See First Trinity)
Trinity (Northwest), org. 1895, N. Major & Belden Aves.
Trinity (Hegewisch), org. 1887, Houston Ave. Pastors include M. Kaeppel, 1894.
Trinity Slovak Lutheran Church was organized in 1893 as a part of Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Church, a body in cooperation with the Missouri Synod through the Synodical Conference. Trinity later left the SELC and joined the Slovak Zion Synod, a member synod of the ELCA. It is located at 5106 N. LaCrosse Ave., Chicago IL 60630, near Elston and Foster Avenues.
Windsor Park, org. 1913, 2619 E. 76th St. Member of the English District. Left the LCMS in the 1970s to join the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches. Now an ELCA member.
Zion (South Side) (Called Washington Heights Church in 1894 directory), org. 1870, Winston Ave. & 99th St. Pastors include R.P. Budach, 1894.
Zion Lettish, 1135 Marshfield Ave.
Zion Lithuanian, org. 1910, 22nd St. & S. Irving Ave.
Zion Slovak, org. 1909, 901 N. Springfield, member of the SELC. Moved to Norridge, ca. 1964. Now located at 8600 W Lawrence Ave., Norridge, IL 60706-2936.
Zion's (West Side), org. 1868, Listed variously as W. 19th near Halstead, W. 19th & Johnson, and 19th & S. Peoria. Pastors include Anton Wagner, F. Knief, 1894. Merged with South Pilgrim at Archer & Kildare 1956 to form Beautiful Savior at Archer & Kildare. Pastor of both at the time of the merger was P.J. Wirth.
Zion's (South Side), org. 1882, northwest corner of 113th St. & Edbrooke Ave. (formerly Curtis Ave.) Pastors include G. Sievers, 1894.