St. Stephen's Lutheran Church
St. Stephen's Lutheran Church was originally organized in 1871 as split from Salem Evangelical Church (later Salem UCC) at 21st and Archer. The faction that formed St. Stephen's constructed a facility at Wentworth Ave. and 25th St. in 1871. This body was known as the United Evangelical Lutheran St. Stephen's Church and later the Second Reformed Episcopal St. Stephen's Church of Chicago after affiliating with the Reformed Episcopal Church in 1875.
Not realizing the expected financial assistance from the Reformed Episcopal Church, the congregation reorganized in 1879 as a Lutheran congregation. The congregation briefly associated with the Wartburg Synod of the General Synod from 1879 to 1886. In 1886 Pastor William Proehl of the Iowa Synod became St. Stephen's pastor, bringing the congregation into a relationship with that synod. The congregation officially joined the Iowa Synod in 1893.
In 1911 the cornerstone was laid for a new facility at 57th and Sangamon. The basement of that structure was dedicated in 1912, while the main church building was dedicated in 1914.
On January 5, 1969 St. Stephen's merged with Grace (1888, Ohio Synod) to form Grace-St Stephen. In 1973 Grace-St. Stephen merged into Calvary at 11249 S. Spaulding.
|Ernest Guntrum (German Evangelical)
|E.R. Hinski (Reformed)
|A.W. Englebrecht (asst.)
The ELCA Archives has a microfilm copy of St. Stephen's early records. Membership records from 1871 to 1964 are on reel #522. The filmed records are missing 1880-1885. The originals may have been lost in an office fire at Calvary. Contact Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church, 11249 S. Spaulding, Chicago, IL 60655-2739 for more information.
"Souvenir Booklet -- 75th Anniversary, May 30, 1954." St. Stephen's Lutheran Church, Chicago, Ill.