The Swedes in Chicago, and in America, were less likely to remain Lutheran than their Norwegian counterparts, though those that did did not have the splits and theological controversies that the Norwegians and Germans did. The Scandinavian Augustana Synod was formed in 1860, with the Norwegians and Danes leaving in 1870. Large contingents of Swedes in Chicago were Swedish Mission Covenant, Swedish Methodist, or Swedish Baptist. The earliest congregation amongst Swedish immigrants, St. Ansgarius, became part of the Episcopal Church. In 1853 Immanuel Swedish Lutheran Church was formed, at first meeting in the First Norwegian Lutheran building. This became the motherchurch for Augustana Synod congregations in Chicago.
Swedish immigration continued through the 19th and early 20th centuries, with Swedes spreading out throughout Chicago.North Side
(Avondale) (1904)Bethel English
(Albany Park, Olavus Petri) (1917)Central
(1903)Capernaum / St. Mark's
(Cragin) (1904)The LoopChrist the King