Augustana Lutheran Church of Hyde Park
Augustana Lutheran Church was organized in 1903 as a member of the Augustana Synod, and was located at 54th St. and Kimbark Ave. It is currently located at 5500 S. Woodlawn Ave. in the Hyde Park neighborhood, near the University of Chicago and across the street from the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago.
The Rev. Dr. L G Abrahamson began conduction services in a rented hall on 55th Street between Kimbark and Kenwood Avenues in 1902. On April 9, 1903 the congregation was formally organized. In 1905 a lot was purchased on the corner of 54th Street and Kimbark Avenue. The completed building was dedicated on December 12, 1908.
On June 29, 1963, the church was destroyed by fire. In 1964 the congregation purchased lots on 55th Street between University and Woodlawn. The new church was dedicated on May 26, 1968.
On Nov. 10, 1968 Gustavus Adolphus Lutheran Church
(1891, Augustana Synod) merged into Augustana. The name was officially changed to Augustana Lutheran Church of Hyde Park.
Visit Augustana's home page at http://www.augustana.chi.il.us/
. Original records
Augustana Lutheran Church should have the original record books. The record books have been microfilmed, as Augustana #A2 and are available at the ELCA Archives and at the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center
at Augustana College in Rock Island, Ill. The microfilm includes church minutes from 1903 to 1920 and membership records from 1903 to 1940. The ELCA Archives also has copies of some church publications and other materials. Pastors
V.H. Hegstrom 1905-Dec. 10, 1916
Andrew C Rylander April 9, 1917-Sept. 29, 1938
G. Everett Arden April 21, 1940-Oct. 14, 1945
Rudolph Jonson Oct. 21, 1945-1956
Douglas W Larson (interim) 1956-Nov. 16, 1958
Keith Pearson Feb. 15, 1959-1962
Philip Anderson 1963-1970
Arthur C Bryant Feb. 1, 1971-July 9, 1974
Larry J Hofer August 1, 1975-May 1981
N. Leroy Norquist Jan. 1, 1982-Dec. 31, 1987
William R Strehlow (assoc.) Jan. 15, 1984-Nov. 15, 1987
Lawrence R Hamilton April 17, 1988-Sept. 5, 1993
Ann Hicks (assoc.) Sept. 16, 1990-June 1994
Robert S Klonowski Sept. 25, 1994-May 1, 1998
John M. Gorder July 1, 1999 – present