Bethesda Lutheran Church
Bethesda Lutheran Church was organized on July 22, 1891 as a member of the Augustana Synod. The organizational meeting was led by Dr. G. Lundahl, pastor of Bethany church in South Chicago.
Early services were held at the Evangelical Church on Avenue J, near 100th Street. Lots were secured on Avenue L between 101st and 102nd Streets. The building was finished in 1892.
Between 1907 and 1910 the church building was rebuilt and enlarged. On Feb. 15, 1920 the building was destroyed by fire.
The congregation decided to rebuild on 105th Street at Avenue J (at 3725 E. 105th St.). The new building (pictured at bottom) was dedicated on July 22, 1923.
Bethesda disbanded on January 7, 1996.
Carl J. Johnson
Carl H. Rask
Axel N. Nelson
Oscar W. Mattson
Earl R. Mattson
Edward P. Nelson
N. Theodore A. Larson
O. Arnold Olson
Original record books for Bethesda should be located at the ELCA Region 5 Archives in Dubuque, Iowa. Microfilm has been produced of the early record books. This microfilm, Augustana #A6, is available from the ELCA Archives and from the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center at Augustana College in Rock Island, Ill. The film includes church minutes from 1918 to 1921 and membership records from 1891 to 1928. The ELCA Archives also has congregational histories, church publications, including many issues of the Bethesda Beacon, and other materials related to Bethesda.
Bethesda Lutheran Church, Fortieth Anniversary