Ebenezer Evangelical Lutheran Church
Ebenezer Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized on January 22, 1892 in the Edgewater or Andersonville neighborhood of Chicago as a member of the Augustana Synod. It is located at 1650 W. Foster in Chicago.
Originally known as the Summerdale Church, the congregation made plans in 1894 to build at the southwest corner of Foster and Ashland, but had to sell the lots to pay the church's debts. In Oct. 1895, the congregation decided to build at Berwyn near East Ravenswood. The first services were held on Christmas Day, 1895.
In 1897 Ebenezer purchased a lot at the northeast corner of Winnemac and East Ravenswood. The church building (pictured at top) was moved and placed on a brick foundation. The first service at the new location was held Jan. 2, 1898.
In 1904 the congregation decided to purchase two lots at the northeast corner of Foster and Paulina. The new sanctuary (exterior and interior pictured below) was completed in 1908 and the additions were added in 1929. Pastors
June 1895-Aug. 1896
Theodore S. Johnston
Elof K. Jonson
Theodore E. Matson
Jan. 1, 1945-1955
W. Marvin Chellberg (asst.)
Roswell V. Peterson
Earl Nelson (asst.)
Harry V. Victorson
Arnold O. Pierson
1984-1988 Original records
Original records should be located at the congregation. Visit Ebenezer's home page at http://www.ebenezerchurch.org
. Membership records from 1892-1935 and church minutes from 1892-1933 have been microfilmed on Augustana #A35 and are available from the ELCA Archives and the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center
in Rock Island, Ill. The ELCA Archives also has congregational histories, various church publications, and other materials.
Sources Ebenezer Living Stones: One Hundred Years of Mission
, Chicago, Ill.: Ebenezer Lutheran Church, 1992.