Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church
Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church, a member of the Augustana Synod, was organized in 1868 as an outgrowth of Immanuel Lutheran Church to serve Swedish residents on Chicago's South Side.
From 1870 to 1885 the congregation worshiped in a building (exterior pictured above, interior pictured below) located on Bushnell St. (now 23rd Place) on lots donated by members of Immanuel. In 1885 the congregation moved to the east side of Princeton Avenue, between 28th and 29th Sts.
In 1922 the congregation moved to 74th Street and Calumet Avenue, at 318 E. 74th St. in the Park Manor neighborhood on the South Side. The Princeton St. building (pictured below in 1975 photo) was sold to a Roman Catholic congregation. In 1923 the new parish building was completed and in 1926 the new church (pictured at top and bottom) was dedicated.
As the racial composition of the Park Manor neighborhood changed in the 1950s, Salem opened its doors to black members, becoming one of the first multi-racial Lutheran congregations in the city.
Oscar A. Benson
Philip A. Johnson
James P. Claypool
Norman A. Nelson
1961-1970 Original records
Original record books should be found at Salem Lutheran Church, 318 E. 74th St., Chicago, IL 60619-1899. Early books have been microfilmed and are available at the ELCA Archives and at the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center
at Augustana College in Rock Island, Ill. Filmed as Augustana #A18, the microfilm contains church minutes from 1868-1932 on reel #1, membership records from 1873-1916 and ministerial acts from 1871-1885 on reel #2, and membership records from 1888-1931 and ministerial acts from 1886-1930 on reel #3. The ELCA Archives also has congregational histories, church publications, and other materials relating to Salem.
Salem Lutheran Church, Ninety Years of Christian Service
. Chicago: Salem Lutheran Church, 1958.
Salem Lutheran Church, Century +
. Chicago: Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1968.