Eduard Julius Hans Mueller
Eduard Julius Hans Mueller was born in Augsburg, Germany, on October 20, 1875. He enrolled at the Philadelphia Seminary and graduated in 1896. In addition, he received from the University of Chicago a bachelor of divinity degree in 1902 and a doctorate of divinity in 1920. He received a call to serve as a missionary for the General Council of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in North America (GC) prior to finishing his seminary training. His ordination took place at St. John's Lutheran Church, Allentown, Pennsylvania, upon his graduation, and he was commissioned as a GC missionary on June 3, 1896, at St. Michael's Church, Allentown, Pennsylvania.
The Rev. and Mrs. Mueller arrived in Rajahmundry, India, on October 18, 1896. Upon his arrival, Pastor Mueller's first task was to study the Telegu language. After successfully passing his final language exam, Pastor Mueller assumed administrative responsibility for the Tadepalligudem mission district. He remained there until his resignation from mission service in 1899. His resignation occurred in response to an incident involving the India Mission Council and the GC Board of Foreign Missions, regarding the question of ordination of a local pastor. Pastor Mueller and two other missionaries resigned over what they saw as the Board of Foreign Missions' nullification of the authority of the Mission Council.
Pastor Mueller returned to service shortly thereafter and was given responsibility for the Narasaravupet-Cumbum area. He worked in this area until 1910 when the field was divided, and he and Mrs. Mueller went to work at a newly created mission station located at the Taralupad railway station, halfway between the towns of Markapur and Cumbum.
In 1920, Pastor Mueller accepted a call from the United Lutheran Church in America (ULCA) to work at its mission station in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He and Mrs. Mueller worked there from 1920-1923. Pastor Mueller died November 22, 1923, while on active service.Description:
The items in this collection date from approximately 1896-1919. There is a handwritten diary, handwritten and typewritten correspondence, printed pamphlets and programs, and an edited manuscript of a book Pastor Mueller translated from German to English. The diary has the notation "Private Diary" on its cover, but appears to be only material related to the mission station where Pastor and Mrs. Mueller worked. Each year begins with a brief summary of events written in German. A detailed yearly report of the mission station follows the brief summary. Within the pages of these updates there are occasionally pamphlets and programs pertaining to conferences, meetings, and dedications. These are written primarily in Telegu. The collection is also available on microfilm.