Global Formation Events
Register now for 2009 Global Formation Events
All ELCA global events seek to equip participants to deepen their understanding of the changing context and practice of global mission, and to receive the gifts of Christians and churches around the world.
The regional Global Formation Events
delve deeply into accompaniment, helping congregational teams build skills they need to be an effective part of God’s mission, globally and locally.
At these one-and-a-half day, congregationally based events, teams experience:
- A probing look at the changing context of the global church, and how that context influences global and domestic ministry
- Biblical foundation of global mission
- Challenging witness from a global companion
- Time for the congregational team to meet, reflect, and plan
- In-depth, skill-building workshops, led by experts in specific areas of ministry
- Lively devotions that include global voices
- Opportunities to share about congregational and synod global relationships
- Fellowship time for networking and connecting
Why attend? Global mission no longer takes place “over there.” Immigration, travel, and the Internet are bringing the world to you! What can we learn globally to help our churches serve and thrive in our own back yards? By understanding how God’s activity is changing the world around us, we can build skills that help us engage, serve, support, learn, and travel more effectively, globally and domestically.
If you are looking for a similar event next year then check out the 2010 Glocal Mission Gatherings
Photo on left: Christine Mangale, Kenya Evangelical Lutheran Church, at the 2008 GFE in Des Moines, Iowa
Photo on right: Enjoy a variety of dishes like nan bread from India