ELCA Companion Profiles for Asia - the new version of the ELCA Country Packets
Thanks to your unrestricted offerings of mission support dollars
and your designated gifts to the ELCA World Hunger Appeal
, ELCA International Disaster Response
, and designated projects
, the ELCA engages in God’s mission in more than 90 countries around the world.
Most churches in the Asia Pacific region exist in a political and social fabric where Christians are the minority. Many are new, “emerging” churches.
In Asia, the ELCA works multilaterally with Lutheran churches, health care programs and educational institutions, including seminaries, and with ecumenical partners to support and strengthen Christian presence and witness, and interfaith relationships.For details on the ELCA's engagement in a country, click on a particular country name on the map or list below.
Quick facts about engagement in this region are below.
- The ELCA accompanies churches and institutions in 19 countries across this region through the allocation of grants and /or placement of personnel, and 4 more through collaboration with companion agencies like Lutheran World Relief, the Lutheran World Federation, and Church World Service.
- There are 15 companion synod relationships between Asian companion churches and dioceses and ELCA synods.
- As of February 1, 2009, 62 ELCA mission personnel serve in 11 countries in the region.
- Since 1988, 183 church leaders from Asia have been educated with ELCA funds. During 2008-2009, 15 Asian leaders are studying at ELCA and other institutions around the world.
- The total 2009 ELCA budget for Asia/Oceania is $3.9 million