Latin America and the Caribbean
Companion Profiles for Latin America and the Caribbean - the new version of the ELCA Country Packets
Thanks to your unrestricted offerings of mission support dollars
and your designated gifts to the ELCA World Hunger Appeal
, ELCA International Disaster Response
, and designated projects
, the ELCA engages in God’s mission in more than 90 countries around the world.
The Lutheran churches of Central and Latin America have heard the cry of the poor. In response, they provide a holistic ministry that serves the community and blends Word and Sacrament, advocacy, and diaconal ministries in human rights, gender and economic justice, education, and health. To support this ministry:
For details on the ELCA's engagement in a country, click on a particular country name on the map or list below.
- ELCA mission personnel supply ministry-building skills as requested by companion churches
- ELCA financial grants support projects that address social and economic issues, as well as leadership development
- ELCA staff and congregations engage in advocacy on behalf of the region as requested by companion churches
about engagement in this region are below.
- The ELCA accompanies churches and institutions in 18 countries across this region through the allocation of grants and /or placement of personnel, and 9 more through collaboration with companion agencies like Lutheran World Relief, the Lutheran World Federation, and Church World Service.
- There are 26 companion synod relationships between Latin American and Caribbean companion churches and dioceses and ELCA synods.
- As of February 1, 2009, 36 ELCA mission personnel serve in 14 countries in the region.
- Since 1988, 54 church leaders from Latin America and the Caribbean have been educated with ELCA funds. During 2008-2009, 8 leaders are studying at ELCA and other institutions around the world.
- The total 2009 ELCA churchwide budget for Latin America and the Caribbean is $2.50 million