View Real Media video excerpts
from the installation service of the Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson.
The installation of the Rev. Mark S. Hanson as ELCA presiding bishop was held on Saturday, October 6, 2001, at 2:00 p.m. Central at the Rockefeller Chapel on the campus of the University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois. A reception followed the service.
Special music was provided by:
- Lenoir-Rhyne College A Cappella Choir, Paul D. Weber, conductor
- Florence M. Jowers, college organist
- Lenoir-Rhyne College Brass Ensemble, Christopher C. Nigrelli, conductor
- Lenoir-Rhyne College Percusion Ensemble, Rick Cline, conductor
- David Cherwien, organist
- Deborah Ford, soloist
Guests included leaders of the five churches with whom the ELCA is in full communion plus Bishops Medardo Gomez (El Salvador), Maria Jepsen (Germany), Ambrose Moyo (Zimbabwe), Julius Paul (Malaysia), and Owdenburg Mdegella, of the Iringa Diocese (Tanzania), the companion synod to the Saint Paul Area Synod.
ELCA Vice President Dr. Addie Butler was the assisting minister. The preacher was the Rev. Heidi Neumark, pastor of Transfiguration Lutheran Church in the Bronx, New York.
The service was signed for the deaf and hearing impaired. The offering at the service was split between the Fund for Leaders in Mission and the ELCA Hunger Appeal.
Tickets were distributed first come, first served for those requesting them.
Worship Service Program Book in Adobe Acrobat format (PDF).
Sermon: Pastor Heidi Neumark
Texts: Isaiah 52:7-10, 2 Corinthians 4:1-7
Luke 10:1-12, 16-20
Real Media excerpts from the Installation ceremony of Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson.
Biographical information on the Rev. Mark S. Hanson
- ELCA Presiding Bishop-Elect Hanson Installed in Chicago Ceremony (News story) (Video News Release, right-click to download)
- ELCA Presiding Bishop to Be Installed Oct. 6 in Chicago (News story)
- ELCA Presiding Bishop-Elect Addresses Churchwide Staff (News story) (Video News Release, right-click to download)
- ELCA Presiding Bishop-Elect Reflects on Assembly Issues (News story)
- ELCA Assembly Elects Mark Hanson Presiding Bishop (News story)
Features from the October issue of The Lutheran