Risk Management, Loss Prevention and Insurance
As a current or prospective insured congregation or synod under the ELCA Endorsed Property and Liability Insurance Program underwritten by Church Mutual Insurance Company, you may be interested in how effective risk management may assist your congregation. Below are links to various Web sites and documents to further assist you in protecting your congregation from liability and loss.
Additional resources on the topic of risk management and insurance are available on the drop down menu on the right or the Risk Management downloadable resource page.
Church Mutual Safety Resources
- Activities Safe for All
- Background Screening
- Buildings and Grounds
- Child and Youth Sexual Abuse Prevention
- Cooper Theft Prevention
- Crime Prevention
- Electrical Safety
- Emergency Preparedness
- Fire Prevention
- Food Safety
- Mission Trips
- Playground Safety
- Swimmer and Water Safety
- Weather Risks
- Workforce Management
- Workplace Safety
- General Risks
Risk Reporter is a quarterly risk management newsletter designed to inform you about risk exposures as well as the procedures you can follow to control those risks.
Risk Alerts is a tool from Church Mutual designed to allow religious organizations to learn from the losses of others.
Other Risk Management and Loss Prevention Resources
- Congregational Disaster Preparedness Guidebook from Lutheran Disaster Response
- FEMA - Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans (EOP) for Houses of Worship
Protecting the Congregation's Financial Assets
- "Eleven Things I Have Learned from Dealing with Embezzlement," lessons from a synod bishop
- What to do if your congregation or synod is or may be the victim of embezzlement
- Information insurance companies require in the event of an embezzlement
- Nonprofits and Embezzlement
Addressing Public Health Concerns
- Specific Pointers Regarding Church Property Losses
- Church Mutual Webinar: Key Liability Risks for Religious Organizations (November 1, 2012)
Do you have questions, concerns, problems?
If you are an eligible ELCA congregation or synod and have any questions or are encountering any difficulties concerning the ELCA Endorsed Property and Liability Insurance Program, please contact:
Office of the Secretary
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
8765 W. Higgins Road
Chicago, Illinois 60631
Telephone: 800-638-3522 ext. 2403