5 things to know about 'God’s work. Our hands.' Sunday
“God’s work. Our hands.” activity at Redeemer Lutheran Church, Indianola, Iowa.
“God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday on Sept. 8, is an exciting and important opportunity for us to celebrate our 25th anniversary together as one church, freed in Christ to serve and love our neighbor. If your congregation has been planning to participate, here are five things you should know!
1. We’re doing this together!
“God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday is a chance for the 4 million members, nearly 10,000 congregations, 65 synods and the churchwide expression to come together for a dedicated day of service. On Sept. 8, your congregation will be working in solidarity with other ELCA congregations across the country to do God’s work in the world!
2. You already have your T-shirts, right?
The last day to order personalized “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday T-shirts in time for delivery by Sept. 8 was Aug. 9, but T-shirts are still available. You can still order T-shirts as a souvenir of your day.
3. Get the word out!
Did you know that there’s a “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday toolkit to help you plan your day? This free, downloadable tool offers checklists, ideas and helpful hints to plan your day including a section on catching the attention of local media. Check out the last page of the toolkit for a news release template you can use to spread the word about your projects to newspapers, radio and television networks.
4. Let people know what you’re up to!
The “God’s work. Our hands.” Sunday webpage has a number of resources to help you get the word out about your dedicated day of service including posters, flyers and bulletin inserts. Many congregations have also let LivingLutheran.com know about their upcoming projects:
- Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Jefferson City, Mo.
- Trinity Lutheran Church in Hixson, Tenn.
- Trinity Lutheran Church in Lebanon, Ind.
- Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Redwood Falls, Minn.
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Somerville, N.J.
- Faith Lutheran Church in Seward, Neb.
- Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Westlake, Ohio
- St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Providence, R.I.
- Iglesia Evangelica Luterana, Providence, R.I.
- Bethany Lutheran Church, Cranston, R.I.
- Augustana/East Sveadahl Ministries, St. James, Minn.
- St. Mark’s Evangelical Lutheran Church in Huntsville, Ala.
- Abiding Presence Lutheran Church in Fuquay-Varina, N.C.
- Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Sioux Falls, S.D.
- St. John Lutheran Church in Great Falls, Mont.
- Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in Iowa City, Iowa
Want to add your name to the list? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or post a message in the comments below!
5. Share your story!
When your service project is over, let your work be an inspiration to others. Share your stories and photos with LivingLutheran.com, on the ELCA Facebook page or via Twitter at #ELCADayofService.