Global Health Volunteers
Are you a health care professional seeking to share your gifts internationally? The Lutheran Global Health Volunteers program matches short-term, skilled and self-supported health care volunteers with opportunities in health ministry programs operated by ELCA companion churches and agencies. People with various skill sets are needed to meet these diverse requests including doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, dentists, hospital administrators, facilities engineers, health educators, medical record librarians, information technology specialists and others.
The program works in two ways:
- An ELCA companion church or agency requests a volunteer with specific skills from across the spectrum of health and medical expertise. ELCA staff responds by searching for an appropriate candidate.
- A volunteer reaches out to the ELCA to express interest in this program, citing relevant health care or medical skills, availability and interest. ELCA staff work to match the volunteer with an existing opportunity.
General guidelines for Lutheran Global Health Volunteers
- Service periods typically range from one to three months, depending upon the particular assignment.
- Housing is normally provided by the local church or agency at no cost or at a low cost.
- Volunteers receive basic overseas medical insurance (if requested), visa and work permits required for the period of service.
- Volunteers are responsible for transportation, local living costs, and passport and inoculation fees.
- While not employees, Lutheran Global Health Volunteers are considered global personnel of the ELCA and are expected to reflect the values of this church and respect the faith and standards of our partners. A clear background check is required; volunteers are subject to the personnel policies of the ELCA.
- ELCA staff will work with the volunteers to find a good fit for their skills and available time. Please keep in mind that finding a match does take time.
- Initial sites include rural areas of Liberia, India and Tanzania.
Click here to explore more information on this program.
To volunteer or request more information, call 800-638-3522, ext. 2655 or email.
To view current openings and apply for a Lutheran Global Health Volunteers position, click here.