Strategy for Engagement in Israel and Palestine
ELCA Churchwide Assembly Action CA09.06.36
Passed by the 2009 Churchwide Assembly in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
To receive the memorials of the Eastern Washington-Idaho, Southwestern Texas, Indiana-Kentucky, New England, Northeastern Pennsylvania, Lower Susquehanna, and Metropolitan Washington, D.C., synods related to the ELCA strategy., "Peace and Not Walls: Stand for Justice in the Holy Land":
To reaffirm the commitment of this church are:
- Continue its awareness-building, accompaniment, and advocacy on behalf of a peaceful resolution of the conflict between Israel and Palestine;
- Evaluate and refine its peace-making efforts to demonstrate as fully as possible the "balanced...care for all parties" expressed in the Churchwide Strategy for Engagement in Israel and Palestine (2005; Sect. IIA), while continuing our unique relationship with and accompaniment of Palestinian Christians and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL).
- Learn more about the experiences of both Israelis and Palestinians and their mutual fears, aspirations, and hopes;
- Work to convey the concerns and perspectives of Palestinians and Israelis that dispel stereotypes and caricatures and promote better understanding;
- Lift up the voices within both communities, especially those of victims of violence, that seek peace with justice through nonviolent responses to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict;
- Continue to help alleviate the humanitarian needs of all of those affected by the conflict, especially Gaza;
- Support U.S. funding that promotes peace and cooperation for all parties to the conflict; and
- Continue to pray for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land and for the Israeli and Palestinian peoples.