Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Luke
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Luke was organized in 1884, as a member of the Missouri Synod, by members of the Lutheran Church of St. James living in the Lake View area of Chicago.
The original building was constructed in 1884 at Belmont and Perry (now Greenview) Avenues. In January 1899 a fire gutted the church, leaving only the outer walls. The school was built in 1905 and an annex added in 1925. Memorial Hall was added in 1952, with kitchen, classroom, and playground facilities
By 1958 the congregation was ready to construct a new worship facility. The old building was torn down, and by 1960 the new facility was ready.
In 1976, the congregation left the Missouri Synod to join the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches (AELC).
Pastors include J.E.A. Mueller, ca. 1894.
Visit St. Luke's home page at http://www.stlukechicago.org/
Original record books should be located at the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Luke, 1500 W. Belmont Ave., Chicago, IL 60657-3168. The Newberry Library in Chicago has microfilm of St. Luke's early records, on microfilm #544.