The following are resources that can assist in the preparation for Holy Week and Easter.
- A list of all lectionary readings for Sundays and principal festivals, including Holy Week and Easter.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Renewing Worship?
The index for worship planning (Year A) assists planners in using hymns from Congregational Song (volume 1 in the series of Renewing Worship trial-use resources) and New Hymns and Songs (volume 5) during Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter. Many of these pieces are available for download for inclusion in service folders and bulletins. Other musical resources for Easter from The Church's Year: Propers and Seasonal Rites (volume 8) are available, too.
Consider using texts for Baptism if the Easter Vigil and Pentecost are observed as baptismal festivals. Download the provisional rites from the Renewing Worship Web site.
Books and Articles
- Huck, Gabe. The Three Days: Parish Prayer in the Paschal Triduum. Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 1992. ISBN: 0929650514.
- The January 1997 issue of Worship is a complete Three Holy Days planning guide.
- The March-April 2003 Consider This column [PDF file] contains a number of worship planning ideas and suggestions for Holy Week. (Consider This is a regular column in the bimonthly publication Seeds for the Parish.)
- Mazar, Peter. To Crown the Year: Decorating the Church through the Seasons. Chicago: Liturgical Training Publications, 1995. Gives solid, practical advice on how to decorate your worship space for all of the seasons of the church year. Each chapter includes a section on images of the season drawn from nature, the scriptures and the liturgy. Illustrations will enhance and challenge your creativity. This resource is suitable for use by pastors, altar guilds, sacristans, worship committees and all who attend to environment and art in worship. ISBN: 1568540418. Order on the Web at ltp.org or over the phone at 800-933-1800.
- Mueller, Craig. Preparing the Assembly's Worship: A Worship Handbook. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2002. "An overview of the work of the worship committee or other group that organizes and leads the congregation in a vibrant worship life." (Description by Augsburg Fortress.) ISBN: 0806642912.
- The Three-Day Feast: Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter
Ramshaw, Gail. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2004. 96 pages. ISBN: 0806651156.
Recent decades have witnessed the revival of the ancient liturgies of the Three Days — Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and the Easter Vigil. In this book Ramshaw gives a little history and a lot of suggestions about how these services can enrich the worship life of your entire assembly.
- Share Your Bread: World Hunger and Worship
A planning guide for preachers which draws attention to key scripture texts in the Revised Common Lectionary relating to hunger and social justice issues. A devotional guide for councils, committees, small groups, and individuals. A supplement to existing prayers and litanies for worship. A resource linking worship planning with ideas for congregational social ministry. ISBN: 6000118996.
- The Sourcebook series. Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications. These books contain scripture, poetry, hymns, homilies, letters, fiction, folklore and liturgy about and for the various church seasons. Ideal for preachers and musicians. ISBN: 0-930467-76-0 (Easter) and 1-56854-099-X (The Three Days, three volumes). Order on the Web at ltp.org or over the phone at 800-933-1800.
- Stauffer, S. Anita. Altar Guild and Sacristy Handbook. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress, 2000. Describes how to prepare the worship environment for the church seasons. ISBN: 0806638966.
- Sundays and Seasons. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress. This is a comprehensive worship planning guide based on the Revised Common Lectionary and the church year. Provides worship outlines, alternate worship texts, and music suggestions.
Other Web Resources