Global ChurchWe are a church that believes God is calling us into the world — together.
Seventy million Lutherans do make a difference! As a member of The Lutheran World Federation, the ELCA is one of 142 member churches in 79 countries all over the world. We are called to walk alongside our Lutheran brothers and sisters to grow the church and to do God’s work of restoring and reconciling communities everywhere.
The ELCA has deep, longstanding relationships with Lutheran churches and other partners around the world. We respond to our companions and help support the growth of their work — new congregations, urban and youth outreach, theological education, pursuit of justice and peace and leadership training just to name a few. As we work together with our partners and participate in God’s work in the world, we all grow in faith and benefit — we grow stronger as a global church.
The ways in which we live and serve as a global church are as diverse as the people, communities, churches and countries that we work alongside and support. The ELCA is hard at work with its partners:
- Building up the church in countries around the world.
- Creating meaningful service opportunities for young adults and adults.
- Supporting the work of over 240 ELCA missionaries in more than 40 countries.
- Nurturing Companion Synod relationships with global church partners.
- Providing scholarships, theological education and training for international leaders.
- Pursuing support for crucial and innovative approaches to participating in God’s mission in the world.
This is how we go about working together as a global church to build up Christ’s church throughout the world.