Peace Not WallsWe are a church that rolls up our sleeves and gets to work. We do God’s work in the world — restoring and reconciling communities.
The ELCA is working for justice and peace in Palestine and Israel through our campaign, Peace Not Walls. Through accompaniment, advocacy and awareness-raising, Peace Not Walls connects ELCA members to their Lutheran sisters and brothers in the Holy Land and promotes dignity, full respect for human rights, healing and reconciliation. With our Palestinian Lutheran companions, we also accompany Palestinians and Israelis, Jews, Christians and Muslims working together as peacemakers.
How we work
Accompaniment: Our church’s primary companion church in the Holy Land is the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land. This Arabic-speaking community of faithful Lutherans is the primary relationship through which the ELCA sees the situation in Palestine and Israel. Together, our churches are members of The Lutheran World Federation, a global communion that has a vital Jerusalem-area program that has been running projects related to health, education and humanitarian aid in the occupied Palestinian territories for over 65 years. One easy way you can help is by participating in an international prayer vigil organized by our Jerusalem partners on the 24th day of every month.
Advocacy: We invite you to join our advocacy efforts to bring about a just and lasting negotiated resolution to the Palestinian Israeli conflict.
- Call for equal human dignity and rights for all people in the Holy Land.
- Call for an end to Israeli settlement building and the occupation of Palestinian land, both of which violate international law.
- Call for a two state solution, with two viable, secure states living side-by-side.
- Ask individuals to invest in Palestinian products to build their economy and to utilize selective purchasing to avoid buying products made in illegal Israeli settlements built on Palestinian land.
- Call for an examination of U.S. military aid to Israel to ensure compliance with U.S. and international human rights law and a possible withholding of aid for noncompliance with those laws.
Through its Peace Not Walls campaign, the ELCA supports a viable, contiguous Palestinian state, a secure Israeli state at peace with its Arab neighbors, and a shared Jerusalem with equal access and rights for Jews, Muslims and Christians. In order to achieve this just peace we need your support! Join us in this call to walk alongside our sisters and brothers in the Holy Land by raising awareness and advocating in your hometown, congregation, school, or synod. To get involved,click here.